Social media is media designed to be disseminated through social interaction, using highly accessible and scalable publishing techniques. Social media uses web-based technologies to transform and broadcast media monologues into social media dialogues. It supports the democratization of knowledge and information and transforms people from content consumers to content producers.
Social media has been modernized to reach consumers in a new way: through the internet! Social media has become appealing to big and small businesses. Credible brands are utilizing social media to reach customers and to build or maintain reputation. As social media continues to grow, the ability to reach more consumers globally has also increased. Twitter, for example has expanded its global reach to Japan, Indonesia, and Mexico, among others. This means that brands are now able advertise in multiple languages and therefore reach a broader range of consumers. Social media has become the new "tool" for effective business marketing and sales. Popular networking sites including Myspace, Facebook and Twitter are social mediums most commonly used for socialization and connecting friends, relatives, and employees.
Social media can be said to have three components:
- Concept (art, information, or meme).
- Media (physical, electronic, or verbal).
- Social interface (intimate direct, community engagement, social viral, electronic broadcast or syndication, or other physical media such as print).
Common forms of social media;
- Concepts, slogans, and statements with a high memory retention quotient, that excite others to repeat.
- Grass-Roots direct action information dissemination such as public speaking, installations, performance, and demonstrations.
- Electronic media with 'sharing', syndication, or search algorithm technologies (includes internet and mobile devices).
- Print media, designed to be re-distributed.